Friday, February 10, 2017

Author Spotlight on Erica Alexander


Good Morning!  It's Friday and it's Author's Spotlight day here at 6 Feet Under Books.  Thank you to Erica Alexander for answering my questions.  I was able to read, Seventeen Wishes - you can find my book review here.  







Blurb:
The thing about being born with an expiration date is you learn to appreciate life a little more than the average person. You pack a lot of living into your days. Shit that other people take for granted, you are most thankful for, like your next breath or your next heartbeat. For most people, that expectation is granted. For me, it’s a guessing game. I never know when the next thump-thump of my heart will be its last, so I appreciate each and every beat. I don’t savor it too much, since I’m not supposed to exert myself or do anything remotely fun.

You’d think being dealt this crappy hand, I’d be pissed, but I’m not. When fate gave me a heart that doesn’t know how to keep me alive, it also gave me a reason to keep it beating. And that reason is smiling at me right now. Lilly’s big, brown eyes sparkle with mischief. For most people, she would be average—average brown eyes, average brown hair, average height. She’s just another seventeen-year-old girl in her senior year of high school. But for me, she’s a partner in crime. A confidant. A shoulder to lean on. An ear to listen. My best friend. My reason to keep breathing. And unknown to her, the love of my life.


Author Bio:
Erica Alexander has been a storyteller her entire life. If she’s not writing stories, she’s daydreaming them. Which has gotten her in trouble once or twice. She has an inclination to use sarcasm and she can make anything that comes out of her mouth sound dirty. It’s a gift.
Erica’s life goals are: to make sure her family is happy and healthy, bring to life all the stories in her head, visit Australia and jump off a plane. Preferably with a parachute.
She has degrees in Communications and Computer Science and she loves history, all things Native American, and anything that’s off the beaten path and weird. 
Erica has a few books in the works and hopes to release them sometime this year.

Links:

Webpage:

Amazon:

Facebook author page:

Facebook personal page:

Goodreads:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

Instagram:









1.  What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
I’ve been writing stories in my head for as long as I can remember. I started writing poems and short stories back in high school. Being an author was always my dream job, but life always got in the way. About 18 months ago I met a group of likeminded writers and we formed our own little support group. We started writing with a goal and got serious about it. And that was where it really started for me.

2.  Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your book?
That’s a hard question. For Zac, I’d love to see a teenage Chace Crawford or Zac Effron. For Lilly, maybe Maia Mitchell. I have pictures of what I imagine them to look like on my Pinterest board for 17. But no idea who people in the pictures are and I tried finding out, but no luck.

3.  What book/s are you reading at present?
I’m listening to an audiobook of Slow Dance in Purgatory by Amy Harmon and just finished reading Egomaniac by Vi Keeland. Loved it.

4.  What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I just want to keep on writing. I have several books I’m working on at the same time. I hope to get a couple of them published this year.


5.  Was English your favorite subject in school?
History was my favorite subject. And English was a very close second. I was the kid who got giddy while everyone else groaned when they heard the word “essay.” LOL.

6.  What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
So many writer friends. Kata Čuić has been on my corner from day one. She gave me tremendous input and insight. K.A. Stalter, Keller Ramsay, HL Miller to name a few. They all have helped one way or another. Giving critical feedback, beta reading, being supportive. Amy Jo Cousin talked to us for hours and shared her experiences. I learn from each book I read and from each person I cross paths with.

7.  What does literary success look like to you?
For me it is about doing what I love and being happy with whom I am while doing it. I believe that life is about joy and that you should be able to find joy in what you do. I don’t care about making money or being famous because of my books. I’m happy with what I have and who I am. Everything else is just a plus.

8.  How many hours do you write a day?
Ugh. Not nearly enough. I write in spurts. I may spend several hours writing one day and none the next. I really don’t have a routine. I wish I did. Discipline is something I have to work on. I have a serious case of AADD (Author Attention Deficit Disorder). Ideally, I would like to dedicate 4 or 5 hours to writing daily. In reality, it does not happen often. That is one thing I have to work on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment