Friday, February 24, 2017

Author Spotlight for Walker Long




Thank you to author Walker Long for being my next victim, I mean author
for the spotlight on my blog!  I really do appreciate you take the time out
of your busy schedule for me and my followers.



Walker Long writes sex-positive stories that blend romance, adventure, humor, social commentary, and - when in doubt - more sex. He was born and raised in the American Midwest, but never developed an interest in religion, football, hunting, reality television, or beer in cans. That outsider mentality is essential to his writing. He currently lives near the geographic center of the United States with his wife and their various children and hopes to someday sell enough books to be able to move somewhere with better weather.


10 Questions with Mr. Long

  1. As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
 I would choose a platypus. It has a duck bill, beaver tail, webbed feet, dense fur, and it's the only mammal that lays eggs. In the same way my writing is a strange combination of different influences. I like to use elements from science fiction, fantasy, romance, erotica, and humor.


2.What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?

I don't do a lot of dedicated research. Much of the stuff I write about is just made up anyway. Often times I will have a question about something specific while I'm writing -- like how much does a horse weigh or how fast is a rifle bullet -- and I'll hit the internet to find out. It's a nice break from work. 

3.Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?

 I do read reviews. Writing is a solo pastime and reviews add something akin to social interaction into the equation. Negative reviews can be a blow to the ego, but I tell myself having all positive reviews looks fishy anyway.

4.  Do you listen to music as you write?  What's on your playlist?

I actually like quiet when I write. Maybe I'm just easily distracted!

5.  Do you belong to a Book Club?  What are you currently reading?

I don't belong to an organized club, but I still manage to have a huge backlog of unread books. I just finished reading "The Norma Gene" by M. E. Roufa. It's about a clone of Abraham Lincoln and a clone of Marilyn Monroe on the run from government agents.

6.  Favorite Author and why?  Besides yourself of course

It's so hard to pick favorites. There are always pluses and minuses. I love the work of Robert Heinlein because he was so imaginative and able to think outside the box. I admire that he slipped his ideological point of view into many of his stories. On the other hand, I often disagree with that point of view!

7.  Give us a peek into your life.  A day in the life of famous author Walker Long goes like this.....

Today I took the kids to their various schools and then drove across town to my day job. There I will sit in a cubicle and do engineering all day (or write books if nobody is watching). Tonight I'll have a parent/teacher conference and then go home. With any luck I'll have some quiet time to finish watching "The OA" on Netflix.

8.  If you weren't an author what would you be?

 I would be an engineer. In fact, I am an engineer. I'm a lot of book sales away from quitting the day job.

9.  What is your strategy for finding reviewers?

 The most effective way to find reviewers for me is to look up books on Amazon that are similar to mine. Then go through the people who reviewed those books and see who has contact info on their profile. 

10.  what is your favorite motivational phrase?

"Keep Calm and Carry On." The original version is the best, in my opinion. I like this slogan because it sets an achievable goal. Most motivational phrases are so demanding: keep smiling, be the change, have a good attitude, face your fear. Sometimes that just isn't going to happen. But if you ask me to not completely lose my shit and collapse in a heap, I think I might be able to pull it off.




Blurb
A New Kind of War :: A New Kind of Service
During a brutal war against monstrous, spider-like aliens, the Space Marines try to improve morale with a top-secret, gene-splicing drug that temporarily turns men into women. Marines who take the drug have sex with the Marines who don't. Everyone is happier.
Most troopers just blow off steam, but two Marines connect in a way that will change them forever. A young Private gets in touch with his feminine side and finds the joy in submitting to a man. A battle-hardened Lieutenant finds redemption and learns that sexual attraction and respect can go hand-in-hand. How far will this relationship go?
WARNING! This book contains explicit sex, graphic violence, and salty language. It is for mature, adult readers only



Blurb

"Keep Calm and Carry On." The original version is the best, in my opinion. I like this slogan because it sets an achievable goal. Most motivational phrases are so demanding: keep smiling, be the change, have a good attitude, face your fear. Sometimes that just isn't going to happen. But if you ask me to not completely lose my shit and collapse in a heap, I think I might be able to pull it off.



Blurb

A big, strong, manly-man discovers that there are definite benefits to watching the game with his gay neighbor.




No comments:

Post a Comment