Friday, September 9, 2016

Author Spotlight - RS McCoy

Hello!  Today I'm putting the spotlight on author R.S. McCoy.  I recently finished her book The Killing Jar, the first book in the series called The Extraction Files.  The Killing Jar is a Dystopia, SciFi book, told my several different POV.  There is a strong female lead, Mable who really stuck out for me.

Thank you R.S. McCoy for being a good sport and answering my questions.




1.      Please tell everyone a little about yourself

Hi guys! I’m Rachel, a true-born Texan now residing in New Jersey with my military husband and two rascally boy children. I’m a big reader and movie buff, and I love baking yummy treats.

2.      How did you get into writing?

In 2013, I was diagnosed and treated for thyroid cancer. I started writing to work through some of the emotional aspects of treatment. It allowed me to become submersed in something positive while my life was going crazy around me. I am happy to report that I am 100% healthy today and no longer need writing as an outlet, but it’s too fun to stop!


3.      Who are your influences?

Oh my, where to start? I was always a big fan of science fiction and fantasy, and even as an adult, I find my stories still enmeshed in these genres. As a kid, I loved Tolkien and Orson Scott Card. Today, my tastes are more varied, from Tracy Chevalier to Paulo Coehlo to Marisa Meyer.


4.      Do you have any books in the works?

Always! I’m currently working on Hale and Gemini, a retelling of Hansel and Gretel and the third book in my Alder Tales series. The books in this series are all fairytale retellings (Blossom and the Beast = Beauty and the Beast, Raene and the Three Bears = Goldilocks and the Three Bears) and they are a TON of fun to write!


5.      Who is your favorite character you’ve ever written?

You can’t ask an author that! Gosh, how do you even pick? I love Avis from the Sparks Saga. He’s Lark’s mentor and a no-nonsense, learn-the-hard way kind of teacher. Love him! And Mable in the Extraction Files series will always have a little piece of me. She’s strong and smart and calls it like she sees it. Then again, I love Kaide in the Alder Tales, too. How could you not?


6.      Do you write every day?

Nope! My poor wrists need a break! I try to stick to a standard Monday-Friday Nine-to-Five so I can work when my kids are in school. My evenings and weekends are devoted to MTV reality shows, Marvel movies, Netflix series (can you say Marco Polo), and reading. I try to read four to five books a month to keep up with market trends and stay current on the hot new series. It’s really a hard job (HA)!


7.      Do you ever get writers block? If so how do you combat it?

Nooooo. If ever I get to a day where I don’t feel like writing (usually when I have to kill someone or write out a brutal fight scene), I take a day to veg and get in the right mindset. Then I get up the next day and write it. I have way too many ideas in my head to let any of them stay in there too long. I’d go mad!


8.      What are you currently reading?

I just started The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg. I’m waiting on my copy of The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater as well as the rest of the Throne of Glass series to be delivered! I’ll be diving into those as soon as they arrive (yippee)!


9.      What do you do to get book reviews?

Beg, bake cupcakes, bag, smile, beg some more! (I’m kidding, mostly…) Getting reviews is the easiest and hardest thing in the world and such a silly measure of an author’s talent or a book’s marketability. I send out a few review requests to bloggers each week and ask them to leave their reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Smashwords, or anywhere else they can. Reviews are SO important to getting good promotions like BookBub, but on the whole, they are just one tiny piece of this job. A lot of folks get lost in it, but I think it’s important to remember we’re here to read good books. As long as readers are reading and enjoying, I’m not so worried about the reviews.


10.  How do you relax?

Well, I live on the beach! No joke, my office window looks over a little harbor in southern New Jersey. Aside from the amazing summer weather and wonderful view, I always turn to books and movies to relax. Taking pictures for my book-centered Instagram is fun, too!

The Lovely R.S. McCoy

http://www.rsmccoyauthor.com/
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorRSMcCoy







No comments:

Post a Comment