Friday, October 16, 2015

Dead of Winter - Book Review





Blurb:

A predator stalks the frozen woods.

At a fort deep in the Ontario wilderness in 1878, a ghastly predator is attacking colonists and spreading a gruesome plague—his victims turn into ravenous cannibals with an unending hunger for human flesh. Inspector Tom Hatcher has faced a madman before, when he tracked down Montreal’s infamous Cannery Cannibal. But can even he stop the slaughter this time?

In Montreal exorcist Father Xavier visits an asylum where the Cannery Cannibal is imprisoned. But the killer who murdered thirteen women is more than just a madman who craves human meat. He is possessed by a shape-shifting demon. Inspector Hatcher and Father Xavier must unravel a mystery that has spanned centuries and confront a predator that has turned the frozen woods into a killing ground where evil has come to feed.
4 Stars
My normal 4 hours of sleep was interrupted last night because I was so creeped out and excited at the same time.  I forgot how much I love a good scare, thank you Mr. Moreland for reminding me what I missed!!  I was afraid to close my eyes and every little noise made me jump.  The power of words is alive and well in this book.  
A string of murders has brought Tom Hatcher to Ontario's remote wilderness.  He has dealt with something similar before.  Could it be linked? But how?  The man responsible for those murders is tucked away in jail.  Is this new murderer mirroring?  Tom needs to find out and keep it contained.  
While Tom is hunting down a killer, Father Xavier is with the original madman.  The kind Father is going to exercise the demon that has possessed his soul and set him free. 
These two stories are intertwined and feed off each other. It's very well written and yes there are places it does get wordy.  But honestly I think the story is well written enough to conjure up all sorts of images in your mind and scare the crap out of you.  Sit back and relax if you can, while reading this book.  A lot of work went into this book, with the Native American's and Catholic presents.  You think about religion and superstition and how the connect and how they run parallel to each other.  
I don't want to give away spoilers.  I'm trying to be careful as I review this book.  I was locked in to this book from page 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment